67. In Praise of the Trivial - How I Met Stanley

I think that trivial knowledge is underrated. In world of extremes it is hard to understand the value of random information. Even on television what is often portrayed is a stereotypical nerd or a lovable dolt. There is rarely an in between, but it must exist. I've said before that I am striving to become a better story teller. I'm vigorous about my academic pursuits and I know their importance. Yet nobody at a party wants to listen to a discussion about the pythagorean theorem. What is wanted is new an exciting information. This was clearly demonstrated to me today in a powerful way. But I wasn't at a party. I was waiting in line to buy a frozen pizza.

I stepped into the line with six people in front of me. A semi-long line but it was the speedy-checkout lane, right? After a minute or so I noticed that the line was moving a little slow. I peered around the lady in front of me and for the first time I laid eyes on Stanley.

Stanley had cheerful eyes. The twinkly kind they put on the Coca-Cola Santa. He was doing his job well and insisted on having a good time talking with customers while doing it. We've all had that cashier. The one who awkwardly comments on what you're purchasing. Except instead of that creepy "I think I'm your best friend because I now know what brand of toilet paper you use" stalker feeling that most of those cashiers radiate, Stanley was actually charming. Undoubtedly part of it was his personality and the smile he'd been working on for 60 years. But more pertinent to was the actual comments he was making on what people bought.

Muhammad Ali's BFF?
Three people in front of me was a young man buying boxing gloves. Stanley grabbed them from the belt and address him. "You like Muhammad Ali?" The budding athlete replied in the affirmative. Punching in the final keys and bring up the total Stanley continued, "Hoo-boy that man was a great boxer! But did you know that he was also a minor spokesman for extraterrestrials? Claimed to see several UFOs. True story! That'll be $32.74" The two had a brief banter back and forth as Stanley retrieved his change. As the young man walked away, I could tell he wanted to talk more. But there were more customers waiting.

I watched and listened as he worked his way through the line, having some tidbit of information for each person. He soon got to the lady in front of me who was buying red hair dye. By this time I was grinning. "Hmm. President George Washington was a redhead. Yep, a real ginger! Just like that Weasley boy from the magic movie!" I couldn't contain myself anymore. This was one of the most random (and coolest) men I'd ever encountered. It was right about this point that I noticed something else - Stanley was leading all of these brief conversations. People were enthralled by him, but not giving much back in the way of conversation.

I put my pizza on the little belt and stepped forward. My lesson for the day? In Iceland there is an industry for growing pizza toppings in greenhouses because the soil can't sustain the plants. I was impressed! "Stanley, I've been listening to you talk to all of these people and I just have to ask - are you for real?" He gave a hearty laugh while the people behind me perked up for his reply. "Son, when you get to be my age you just know a lot of stuff. I swear it's true."

I swiped my card. "Sir, I know a lot of people your age -- none of them know this much stuff." As he handed me my receipt he took a breath and held my gaze for a brief moment. "Well, they could. They probably just didn't pay attention."

I walked to my car smiling and determined to start paying more attention. I'm also going to be proactive about it. With the entire internet at my fingertips, there's no reason not to. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to see Stanley again, but he's not the only friend I made today. Let me introduce you to the other - The Amazing Fact Generator. When you have some free time, check it out and take in some good random knowledge! You never know when it might help you make a friend, especially once you get to be cool like Stanley.

1 comment:

krista.lynn said...

This doesn't really have to do with your post, but I saw this quote and thought you'd get some food for thought out of it! :)

"Reading maketh a full man; conference maketh a ready man;and writing an exact man."

- Sir Francis Bacon

Post a Comment