62. Using Fewer Words (Hopefully)

I have to agree with my friend Calvin. I can't stand school. Why? Because of the way I have always been taught there. Don't mistake me - I thoroughly enjoy learning. But formal schooling has left myself and millions of others with a residual plague: verbosity. We simply use too many words. I blame standardized tests and assignments that value length over quality. My most recent term paper read like watered down coffee after having to add two pages of fluff. Sure, everything necessary for the buzz of academia was present, but so was filler to meet a certain word count. Less often really is more.

The major problem with this is that I always feel I must use more words than necessary. It's been ingrained so much that I experience conviction if the writing isn't long enough. Though I'd prefer to learn to write, speak, and communicate more effectively. So be it. Gift 62 is an active attempt to use fewer words than necessary. For writing I've already found a great tip:
"Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
                                                                        — Mark Twain
Now I just need a strategy for speaking. I'm a natural rambler once I get going. Hmm... this may more effort than anticipated. Suggestions?

1 comment:

Jennifer Beard said...

I read that quote to my mom when she was writing the obituary for my grandmother. She needed to pare down her words because every word cost money! I noticed she had a lot of "very"s in there, so I read it to her, replacing them with "damn." Somehow, saying that grandma was "damn involved in church" just didn't seem right (it was hysterical, though). :)
Jenn

Post a Comment