60. Wishlist

Only 40 days until my birthday!

Today's gift is a little different. For the last 12 years or so, I have very actively asked for nothing for my birthday. I've reasoned this away by saying that I don't need much and that I'm more than happy just to spend time with friends! While this is true, there's more at play. There's a part of me that felt unworthy of gifts and didn't want to convenience anyone. I also had asked for other things in life before and not received them. I learned to dislike expecting things and didn't want to get my hopes up. Recently I've been learning a lot about having proper expectations of people, and today I'm putting it to use! What do I mean? For the first time in over a decade I'm telling people what I want for my birthday!

My list isn't long, but here it is:
  • Unabridged, hardback copy of Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
  • Anything from Postertext.com! Specifically:
  • C.S. Lewis! All of my Lewis books were stolen (except for Narnia) I especially miss my well-worn copy of Mere Christianity
  • Soft-lead colored pencils! I accidentally bought hard lead.
  • Anything that is handmade! The best gift is knowing that someone took the time to really think about what you would like. Sometimes that can't be found in a store. 
  • That's all I can think of for now...
I know that's not very extensive but I'm new to asking for stuff! I think people who know me will be able to figure out something if they want to. If YOU want to get me something I won't complain. Just let me know and I'll send you my address! Shameless, I know.

Remember folks, today's gift isn't about me asking for stuff. I used to have this uncanny fear that if I asked for something I really wanted (or more often needed) and didn't get it, then whoever I asked didn't care much about me. That's just not true. I'd bet that's part of how so many of us become entrenched in our self-reliance.  Are you ready to move past that? I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment