49. Prayer - More Meaning, Fewer Words

When you pray, rather let your heart be without words than your words without heart.
          - John Bunyan, author, The Pilgrim's Progress

God speaks in the silence of the heart. Listening is the beginning of prayer.
          - Mother Teresa, nun, missionary, amazing woman

There come times when I have nothing more to tell God.  If I were to continue to pray in words, I would have to repeat what I have already said.  At such times it is wonderful to say to God, "May I be in Thy presence, Lord?  I have nothing more to say to Thee, but I do love to be in Thy presence.
          - O. Hallesby, priest, fervent Nazi opposer 


I just spent an hour and a half writing a long post on my need to pray more, and to learn to pray more effectively. After seeing these quotes, my words seemed feeble. Today I am learning to pray more effectively by learning to listen to God more than I speak.

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment