4. Words of the Wise - A Personalized Book of Quotes

Sir Winston Churchill
It is a good thing for an educated man to read books of quotations.
- Winston Churchill

I am a huge fan of Winston Churchill. He was a great man who lead a troubled nation through a horrendous age on the front lines of what was one of the darkest times in global history. He kept a nation fighting as one of the last strongholds against an enemy set on world domination, and helped to rally much of the rest of the world into a battle against evil. The odd thing is, it is not a history class or the accomplishments of the man that first turned me on to Churchill. It was his words.

Over the last several years I have begun to truly appreciate the power of words. Words create. Words inspire. Words come alive. God spoke the world into being. But I won't get started on my affinity for language here - that's another conversation altogether. The point is that words have power and have drawn me into a love of quotes.

I began reading other quotes, introducing myself to other great men, being inspired by their words. Wishing I'd had their wisdom earlier on in life and grateful I'd discovered so much now. But the problem lies in the simple fact that we all forget. So today I decided to do something I've been thinking about for a long time.

Gift number four is a book of quotes that have meaning to me and that I hope one day to pass on to my children. Obviously it will take a while, but delaying the beginning of a task only delays its end. I have begun by collecting and categorizing some of my favorite sayings. I imagine this will be somewhat of a hobby, and that I will be glad for.

I believe it is imperative that we learn from those who have gone before us. After all, the book of Ephesians reminds us that there is nothing new under the sun - that includes ideas. We might as well be humble enough to embrace what has already been learned instead of trying to come up with everything ourselves. Besides, there are many witty words out there you can borrow that people will be impressed by. After all, it usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.

So I'm curious - what are some of your favorite quotes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"A man does what he must- in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures- and that is the basis of all human morality."
~Sir Winston Churchill

Post a Comment