44. Snap Out of Digital Writing

Today's gift (& manly picture) are inspired by the good folks over at The Art of Manliness.


I know that I, like most, spend a large about of time in front of a screen. This is true for my writing as well. Because I am relatively new to the writing scene, I'm learning it by modern standards (i.e., on a computer). But I'm starting to realize that there is some esoteric inspiration that only comes by putting ink to paper. I'm sure Hemmingway would agree. The trouble is tearing myself away from my beloved keyboard in an age where the vastness of the internet contributes to the widespread belief in ADD. So what to do?

This morning I read and article promoting items to help snap people out of the digital writing conundrum. While these things look über-cool, the price tag is a bit too steep. Nonetheless, I am inspired. I've still been having trouble with my journaling, so I'm taking the recommendations from this article and getting some stuff I like to help me. I'm going to purchase journal that I like and can bring with me easily, and a few good pens.

More importantly, I'm going to begin carrying these things with me so I can write whenever inspiration strikes. This is going to be difficult for me - I'm the type of man to carry nothing if it doesn't fit in my pockets. To top that off, I hate having anything in my pockets. The last thing I want is to carry so much stuff that I become the guy with the man purse. Yeah, I'm a minimalist. I'm also self-respecting.

Girl + Park Bench = Classy
Finding a good location to write is also helpful to getting the creative juices flowing. Does this post seem dry? Maybe it's because I'm writing it on a laptop while sitting on an everyday couch. Want to write better? I say we try locations like quaint park benches, sunny beaches, or nifty little coffee houses. If you can't find one, settle for Starbucks.

I'm hoping that this endeavor goes well. But I'm open to a lot of advice on how to make it better. What do you have to offer?

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Having a nice pen is a must. i think drinking a "sophisicated" drink like hot tea helps you play the part. and emo music, like landon pigg falling in love at a coffee shop.

White said...

I lean more toward the modern folk than the emo. But that's kind of my version of emo I guess. Alexi Murdoch. Joshua Radin. Damien Rice. Stuff like that. Check 'em out!

Post a Comment