43. To Watch or Not to Watch?

Nearly a decade ago I made a conscious decision that has affected my level of information ever since. I decided to not follow any sort of news source. You see, I have an admittedly naive idealistic notion that people should tell the truth. But I have yet to find a news source that reports anything without extreme bias. Many people complain about one news source or another being biased, but only reluctantly admit that their preferred outlet is just as guilty. This is immediately followed by a rebuttal saying that their news source isn't as bad. Somehow this gives me a mental picture of young siblings squabbling. No, thank you.

I'm aware that it is possible to watch the news and take it with a grain of salt. In fact, people who know me well have often remarked on my ability to see through someone's BS and decipher what's really going on. I am able to do this with news as well, but here's the thing: I don't want to. I get angry when I think about the fact that there are these major media sources that are reporting "fact" based on their worldview and opinion which, more importantly, is driven by politics and the all-mighty dollar. That previous sentence you just read? That's an example of my idealism coming out. On top of that, the news is full of negativity and stresses me out further.

Recently a friend challenged me to watch the news. When I said that I didn't need to, anything noteworthy I'd find out from others anyway, she cleverly replied that anyone I heard news from would have their own opinions spinning it, too. I already knew this, but in almost 10 years she's the first to call me on it. I countered saying that I don't get as frustrated with individuals, because they don't claim journalistic integrity. Yeah, I know. Lame argument.

I've been wrestling over the idea of being responsible for knowing world events. I'm simply not sure if it's worth the trouble to me, or if not doing it is in fact foolish. Am I responsible as a human, as a Christian, for following world events this way? I should note that I generally do have an idea what is going on because big news makes people talk. But I find out about it slightly after everyone else. What to do?

After thinking for awhile, I've decided to take up the challenge. Today's gift: A three-month commitment to watching/reading the news. But I'm not going on a binge of 12 hour a day news watching. I'll try to catch the major headlines each day, and know enough to be able to contribute to a conversation about it rather than just absorb. I'm skeptical, but willing to give it a shot. I just don't know.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I watch the news for at least a few minutes every morning (in between episodes of mickey mouse club house and dora the explorer, ha) and I enjoy knowing what is going on. I feel like I can take the information and process it myself. I'm interested to see what you think after awhile of watching it

White said...

What news program do you watch? Local or National?

Post a Comment