53. Ditch the TV! Well, Mostly...

Growing up I knew the TGIF lineup by heart. I would look forward to spending my Friday nights watching Cory muck things up with Topanga, and I still am enamored by the Urkel dance. I won't even attempt to deny it - I tried to follow along with the moves at home! As an adult now, I find that I still feel the same way about television - I love it. Maybe too much...

If you're anything like me, you've probably wondered on more than one occasion if you watch too much TV. I'm a single guy with little extra cash and no real vices, other than media. I've often justified my television binges by concluding that it is relatively cheap entertainment that keeps me out of trouble, and from spending money I can't afford. But there is also a very negative side to watching TV - for someone like me it can draw you in with it's siren song of entertainment and suck the life right out of you.

Can YOU do the Urkel??
Over the last few months I've found myself watching upwards of 6 hours of television per day. Now, to be fair, I'm counting all the time that I have it on in the background while doing something else. And the truth is, I've become addicted to the instant viewing capabilities of sites like Netflix and Hulu. Things like this are only convenient if they add to the quality of life. Taking away all of my time does not achieve these goals. On this note, I also have problems with the internet, but that's another conversation altogether.

Gift 53 - I'm regulating how much television I watch. I'm going to limit myself to 3 hours per day. I know that this still seems like a lot, but I'm also being realistic. Again: a single, ill-funded man with no vices doesn't have much else to do that isn't either costly or detrimental to society. I think cutting it in half is a good start.

Here's where I need your help - what ways have you found to effectively reduce your TV intake while simultaneously enriching your life?

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Mmm... Good post. I let myself get too emotionally involved in TV! There isn't one problem I've come to in life that Cory and Shawn haven't helped me with ;) But I have to remind myself they aren't actually real... ha.

My tactics? I have specific TV days. Instead of a daily allowance, I find I work better with a weekly limit (because once I start one episode of Scrubs, I have to watch 3 more. And after Scrubs, I always want to watch Psych. Deadly cycle) That way, if I feel crummy on a Tuesday night, I can just cozy up in my chair and unwind along with Dwight. I usually feel better the next day and would rather do something more productive. Knowing your tendencies is key.

Post a Comment