54. Rethinking Happy



It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.
                                              - Dale Carnegie



As I'm writing this I have a huge grin on my face. I've had one all morning, and I feel great. Would you like to know why? Ok, well.... there is absolutely no reason at all. And this is exactly how it should be.

Most of us go through life waiting for reasons to be happy. We long for good news from a friend, for a promotion at work, or to be lifted up by the love of our life. We often feel we need things to ‘happen’ to give ourselves permission to be happy. But when you think about it, isn't that ridiculous? At any moment in time, you can have complete control over how you feel. Don’t look for reasons to feel good and smile, you’re alive, that should be enough.

After the horrendous time I've had during the age of 25, this news is refreshing. Today's gift is simple. From here forward, I'm going to remember that it isn't circumstances that make me happy.

And on that note, I'll leave you with the words of Bobby McFerrin...

1 comment:

Natalie said...

:) I feel a little less loony now

Post a Comment