63. Eliminating Bad Influences

"Bad company corrupts 
good character."
         - 1 Cor. 15:33

Just over a week ago I received a very unexpected message from someone who in all honesty is the last person that I ever expected to hear from. Okay, that's an exaggeration. But it was unexpected nonetheless. It wasn't particularly bad, but was not good either. As with most things in life, it's kind of complicated.

My mother taught me that if "I have nothing nice to say, then to shut my dang trap before I tick somebody off!" Gotta love mom. I unfortunately insisted on learning this lesson the hard way at the tender age of eleven in an incident involving a teacher who hated me and her battle with IBS. Let's just say it's sad when a fifth grader has more wit than his educator. But it's also mean. I've since tried to keep my mouth shut.

The purpose of that digression is to tell you this: I won't go into detail on the message received except to make a point. At the end of the exchange I realized that I not only wished it hadn't happened, but there is also a part of my that wishes I never met this person or the individuals they associate with. It's not that I want to say they are bad people. They just aren't uplifting. At all.

In a time that seems like ages ago, I was pretty close with a group of people who were absolutely hilarious to be around. We hung out a lot and had a lot of fun. But there are also a lot of downsides to it and in short, it was a group that was very self-serving. And I was becoming the same. Now that circumstance has had be away from these people for quite some time, I realize how unhealthy it was for me.

So for today's gift, I did some thing really hard. I decided to cut out people who are not good for me. I've gone through contacts and social media and severed ties. Sadly blocking a few. This doesn't mean that I don't still care about them. It means that I have to trust the wisdom of the Bible over anything else. These people were bad for me, and I've been much better in the time I've not seen certain people. I know I need to continue doing that to be a better man. It's actually very humbling to admit. But necessary.

I challenge you do to the same. Be honest with yourself. Is there anyone that you would be better off cutting out of your life, no matter how hard it might be?

No comments:

Post a Comment