35. Reflecting on Progress (or Lack Thereof...)

...I'm thinking...I'm thinking...
"Chris how are you doing with all of this stuff?” I got this text a few days ago, and it's a question that I knew was inevitable. One that I've been asking myself the last several days. I'm just over 1/3 of the way through the 99 Gifts project. Between my coursework for school, working on the project, writing the blog, and trying to figure out the next steps of my existence, I've been rather busy the last few weeks. As such, I've not had a lot of time to revisit many of the goals and habits I've been trying to form over the last month or so. That is today's gift: a hard, honest look at what I've set out to do and how it's going so far. I'll only list the gifts that require continued action.

1. Free Rice – I've kept up with this extremely well. 35,000 grains of rice and counting!
2. Reading List - We're just starting the 9th week of the year, and I've completed 7 books (working on another 4)! Well above my 1 every 2 weeks goal!
4. Personalized Book of Quotes - This I've slacked on the last 2 weeks. I have many quotes, but need to still collect and organize many more. Before that thought, I think I need to sit down and decide how I want to make/format the book. Class finals are in 2 weeks, I plan on doing this the day after!
5. Embracing Spontaneity - Getting a lot better at this. It's hard with no friends in the area, though.
8. Creative Writing Prompts - This has been a success and failure. I've worked on my writing, but haven't been doing the prompts because I keep forgetting to go to the site and check. So I JUST signed up for their weekly newsletter, which includes the prompts.
9. To Do List - This is by far my biggest blunder. I NEED to form this habit. If I had, today's gift may not be necessary. Any followers of mine please feel free to challenge me on this one.
11. Daily Proverbs - Been doing well with this, but I have missed a few days. I need to read my bible more in general. God and I are still doing some repair work. But that's another post...
12. Making Time for People - I think I've done well with this. How else would I have met Leon?
13. Book Review:Lessons Learned - You tell me how I've done! Click here
14/15. Better Posture - This is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Not because of the pain (which hurts) but because it is so easy to forget to maintain. Often I find myself contorted. But, I shall press forward!
16. Starting Toward a Desired Goal - still working on getting this blog onto my own site. Busyness and financial concern have delayed me, but I hope to have everything on my own domain within two weeks. Which begs the question - 99Gifts.org or NinteyNineGifts.org? Which do you like better? (PLEASE TELL ME!)
21. Starting an Artistic Hobby - so, due to a shipping error my colored pencils didn't arrive until two days ago AND I discovered I have no pencil sharpener. Hmm... I'll make a trip to the store to get one today. If I don't post a drawing I've done by the end of this week, berate me. Aggressively.
23. Journaling - This has been hard for me. I need help. Any advice?
24. Multi-Vitamins - Taking them everyday! I've also started taking pills with fiber, since my diet isn't that great. I honestly do feel a LOT better. Perhaps it's just a placebo, but I enjoy the feeling either way.
28. Art Appreciation - I've looked at some more artists, but have yet to be able to go to a museum or anything. Is there any urbane young lady out there who might like to take me on a culture date to help me??
29. Running - I've gone running 3 out of the last 6 days, trying to ease back into it. Going again tonight!
30. Music & Mirth - I received both my ukulele and harmonica Friday. For the harmonica, I'm finding that my tongue is not very well suited for it, but I'm going to keep trying. The uke is revealing itself to be more for vocal accompaniment. This could prove troublesome... *grin*


Overall this last month has been great. I've have much more to do that I have in recent months, but I can see myself coming alive again. There is a lot tied to that statement that I'll not explain now. Suffice it to say, the 99 Gifts are working. I encourage you to join me, to start a similar journey of your own. You'll be glad you did.

Also, withing the next week or so I maybe be asking you, my much appreciated followers, with some help getting word out about the new site/domain. If you're interested in helping, please leave a comment and I'll let you know the plan when it's time! Thanks again. I really do appreciate all who read this - it provides a lot of encouragement to keep going!

2 comments:

Jennifer Beard said...

I like the website spelled out as ninetyninegifts. :)
Jenn Beard

Anonymous said...

Heck Yea Chris... I hear you! So, a few things I'd like to mention. First, the time for pausing and reflecting is essential, and highly productive although it seems to leave things at status quo. Maybe the greatest battlefield goes unnoticed. However, the mind is the greatest weapon we have to provoke change. And doing just this, pausing and reflecting, you are able to separate things you have been slacking on, from things you have been great at.

Secondly, what the heck is up with number 11? Repair work? Shoot. Well that construction better be completed soon. And yes, I am certainly waiting on that post! Maybe tomorrow? (You must've seen this one coming! he he) 30. What you don't think you can sing? I'm sure I heard you hitting a note or two during my H.A year. Trust me, your not as bad as you think.

I think this blog is awesome, and I'm not referring only to this post. Why do I think so? Well, I admire your hard work at this blog probably because I know its just that... hard work. I became fond of reading and writing about a year ago, and started with SpokenWord at http://www.brimoknight.wordpress.com . And so, much like you, I had decided to get a website, and do what I am falling in love with doing, writing. It has been great! Made the purchase about a month ago, and have been working on the site since. Its been difficult but rewarding! Especially with my first official post yesterday about Ted Dekker's soon to be release book.

White, I encourage you 100 percent. Get that site! I'd say I like the sound of "NinetyNineGifts.org". I think the "99Gifts" format should be used as a logo, or banner. It would be great for marketing. I'm here to help you get that word out... So whats the plan.

Live Loud. Live Free.
http://www.brimoknight.com

Post a Comment