23. Keeping a Journal

For years I have wanted to be that guy who has kept a journal and has elaborately written of his life; composed a story for himself that other wish to hear. But the fact is every time I've tried I either have no idea what to write or I pour out my thoughts and concerns in a way reminiscent of angst. Not something I'd be proud of, so I have shied away from keeping written record of it. Two things have happened recently that have changed my mind. First, I realized that the last time I journaled I was in the midst of teenage angst. That's changed. Second, I have determined to become a better writer and a good friend has challenged me that in addition to writing this blog for others, I should also write for myself. So today, I'm starting a journal. I'm somewhat skeptical on how it will turn out, but I'm excited nonetheless.

This gift I need some help with - what tips have you found that could help with the journaling process?

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I journal best at night, in bed, with a cup of tea and music that fits like sweatpants. I sit and think for moment, but a breif moment, and then I just feel. It's almost like meditating, haha. I just start writing whatever thoughts and feelings pass through, organizing my thoughts and making sense of life. I have ALWAYS wanted my journals to be passed down through my family (I have tons of them) but you have to be careful not to let that filter your writing too much. Otherwise you are just blogging in another form. I think of a journal as the behind the scenes to the life that everyone else sees.

Post a Comment