11. Words of the Wise - Part Two

Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. 
                    - Proverbs 3:13-14


I spoke last week about my affinity for the words of others. One of the fatal errors of man is that he insists upon learning everything himself. I've been in this category many times myself. But we truly should learn from the wisdom that has already been gathered and is simply awaiting our curiosity.

Gift #11 is the re-gaining of a habit I once had - to read the 'Proverb of the Day' each day. For those who may not be familiar with this term, here it is: There are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs, and there are [usually] 31 days in a month. The date corresponds with the chapter you read that day. Pretty easy.

I realize that not all people are Bible believing Christians. I am, so this habit works for me on both a spiritual and practical level; and I encourage anyone to at least get the practical out of it. Most of this book was written by King Solomon who was both historically and biblically renowned for his insight. When you read it, you'll notice that many 'modern' maxims are found throughout the text. Wisdom hasn't changed much.

If you're still adverse to it, I challenge you with this: one of the most enlightened abilities of a man is the capability to find the value of anything. Yes, I am a Christian. But without losing my faith I am also able to find value in the words of Mohandas Ghandi and many other religious leaders. In fact, I'm currently excited because the library is holding one of the books on my reading list that was written by the Dalai Lama!

The point is: Seek out wisdom everywhere. And find it every day. You'll thank yourself for it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment