31. An Unexpected Laundromat Encounter

I think I'm the only person I know who can successfully make 8 days worth of clothes last a while longer without smelling rank. But time was up and today was wash day. Everything I own amounts to one large load, so I filled my duffel bag and started my adventure. Normally there is at least one person there who catches my attention. For those who don't know, laundromats are just funny like that. Today... not so much; until shortly before I left. What I'd failed to notice was that while I was reading, a rather attractive young woman (who was in fact the only other occupant of the building) was throwing furtive glances my way. Once I dropped the book and began folding my clothes, I picked up on it immediately. Ironically though, the encounter I'm speaking of was not with this vivacious beauty. It was with the man who came in the room just after I'd noticed her.

I summed up Leon pretty quickly. Having grown up in less than favorable circumstances taught me a lot about urban survival (most of which I've been fortunate enough to only need to know in theory). It was clear that this guy had known his share of drinking buddies and was down on his luck, possibly homeless. But he posed no threat. My admirer, however, was not as experienced and responded nervously when he simply said hello to her. But understandably so. As a result my attention turned to him and I engaged conversation, if only to alleviate the damsel's distress.

Leon cheerfully introduced himself and posed some inquiries about me. I was more interested in finding out about him before disclosing much of myself. Turns out that he's had a stretch of bad luck. A few years ago his long-time girlfriend left him after he lost his job to the recession. He'd been a little bit of a drinker before but started to hit the bottle hard. Prior to all of this, he'd lived a life that most white collars would deem respectable. He went from this existence to that of a vagrant. He explained to me that two months ago he decided to clean up his act again, but three weeks later was hit by a car. At this he held up his hospital-issued cane and pointed at the bandages on his leg. Luckily, he said, the guy's insurance covered everything and actually left him with enough money to get an apartment.

Some of the most interesting people
 I've met have been in a laundromat.
I asked why he was in the laundromat. He said he'd just gotten off his shift at Wal-mart and was on his way home, but needed to wash his backpack and blue vest. He was checking the price of the machines because he had other laundry to do as well. The fact that he wanted to wash his pack told me that he hadn't stopped roaming for long, if at all. I gave him a look that betrayed my sliver of doubt. He laughed and opened his pack to show me his vest. Sure enough, there was the signature wallyworld name tag with "Leon" printed in block letters. Seems his story held up.

While I folded the last of my shirts and stuffed it in my bag, he laughed again and remarked that I "apparently knew something about living without much" I asked him what made him so certain of that. His response: "Son, you're only washin' a single load, folding 'em in a weird f---in' way, and using that to make 'em all fit into a duffel bag that is jus' perfectly filled by 'em." Smart guy. I couldn't help but laugh, and I offered to buy him a drink from the vending machine. He declined saying that the conversation was more than he could have asked for. Then he left - said he was going to bring his pack and vest back with the rest of his clothes later. He came and went in the span of about 10 minutes.

The point of all of this is that it's amazing what happens when you genuinely listen to someone. I'm not sure how Leon is going to end up, but he taught me something today, and I'm glad I chose to speak with him. Honestly... how many of us would in the same circumstances? Most would just blow him off. But I think I made his day - and he mine.

While this whole conversation was going on the cute girl had finished her laundry and decided to bolt like prey released from a trap. I couldn't help but laugh at that, too. There will be other laundromats and other pretty girls might even look at me. But today, Leon needed someone to listen to and respect him. Don't we all?

Oh, and for the record... I wash my duffel bag. I think Leon noticed.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

this is great. the writing, the story, the honesty, the humor. awesome.

Anonymous said...

WOW, is all I can say. Wait, there's more... It seems like this would never happen to anyone. No, not the damsel in distress part... (I blame your good looks on that xP) Leon's adventure. But maybe we never notice what is going on in the lives of those around us, because we don't stop and listen. Were too focused on self, and for the most part that's all we care about. Simply Me!

This is a very creative post, even challenging. Clearly, it's not about just me... sometimes we need to wake up and realize that simple yet important fact.

Creative, Encouraging, and Inspiring post.
Thanks!
BrimoKnight.com

Post a Comment