5. Little Adventures - Embracing Spontaneity

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.  
                                                                   - G.K. Chesterton 


Nuns Having Fun :)
A while back, I had the same epiphany that every man does (and I assume women do, as well). I realized, "I'm not a kid anymore - can't even pretend like it." Like most, my mind zipped down the time line faster than I could blink and I was face to face with the fact that one day, sooner than I think, I will be "old." Rather than wallow in self pity, I decided that when I'm further on in life, I don't want to be a crusty shell who's lived in vain. I want to be the cool old dude with amazing stories. But the only way to be the man who has had a full life, is to ensure it is filled continually as you go. There is a way to do this, and that is gift number five.

Today I slept much later than I intended, didn't receive some funds that I am desperately counting on, was overwhelmed with schoolwork I am yet to fully understand, and as a result of all this didn't eat lunch. So, I ventured out to run some errands and rectify some of these things. When done, I ran through a drive through and picked up a double cheeseburger. Now, before I go further, I would like to point out that I could have been in a bad mood - the day hadn't exactly gone as hoped. But instead I'd been looking forward to listening to one of the many random thoughts that run through my head that amuse me. This is gift number five: embrace spontaneity.

I drove to the park and found a spot where I could watch the joggers run by. I pulled out a great book and my big juicy double cheeseburger and began to enjoy myself. What's so amusing about this? I would wait until a jogger would come by before I'd eat. Then I'd make eye contact with them and take a big bite out of it, putting on the most satisfied face I could muster (which wasn't very hard to do). My whole day was turned around and I had a blast!

And the best part is - later on in life I'm not going to remember the inconveniences of this day. What I will remember is the look on the face of the guy who almost tripped because he was so amorously coveting my food. Today, because of my decision, I had a great little adventure - part of a greater story.

No comments:

Post a Comment