28. Intro to Art Appreciation (Not the Class)

A Wind Beaten Tree, Van Gogh
In the past I've been known as one who is more adverse to knowledge of the finer arts. The reason for this is actually simple, and has nothing to do with the subject matter itself. I was turned off to art because of the 'knowledgeable' individuals who came across as pretentious, pompous, and prissy. This social realm was no place for a peasant such as I. These were people who would be unable to find the humor in Malawi's recent ban on flatulence. Today I decided to circumvent arrogance and continue on my quest for well roundedness, delving into the realm of art - specifically paintings.

"Practical" people will often internally question the worth of art, if not aloud. There are many benefits to art, though they are often as intangible as the creation. The simplest way to put it is that artists attempt to capture a message, an emotion, a value that words are not sufficient to express. How does one relate the brilliance caught in a moment of the sunset, or the longing of a backward glance? There are some ideas in which there is simply no language in the history of men adequate enough to harness.

In truth, I have desired to learn about art for sometime, but have not known where to start. Several cursory searches turned up the same results over and over - check out art fairs, library shows, etc. The problem with this is that walking into these places is overwhelming for the solo amateur with no starting point. Chances for being talked down to by snooty self-proclaimed experts also abound. For the record, I know there are many great, humble artists and appreciators out there. I've met some. But I've also been overrun by the others.

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, Georges Seurat
So I had a quandary... how do I learn a little bit about art to so that I can at least begin a conversation with someone who can help me learn more? Then I remembered my very first gift in this series. I headed on over to FreeRice.com and switched the subject to "famous paintings." I then proceeded to keep trying to match paintings with their creators. I botched most all of them (until they started repeating). But the point wasn't to get the answer correct. I was immediately exposed to masterpieces that I myself would not know to look for. As a result, I've found a few paintings that I enjoy and have thought a little bit about why I enjoy them. This alone gives me enough to at least get started.

The Magpie, Claude Monet
I discovered that I'm fond of the work of Van Gogh, Monet, and Seurat. Why? Because all seem to capture simple things about life that are often overlooked. My current state of life helps me to appreciate that on many levels. Also, there works are simultaneously detailed and abstract. In an age of HD images so sharp you can see the anchorman's clogged pores, I appreciate the simplicity of small, mosaic brush strokes all the more.

Even in writing this post I've seen how my mindset has been allowed to shift some. My previous paragraph could easily be taken to group me with the elitists of the art world if someone wished. But I know I remain very grounded and open. I happen to find a government proposal to prohibit farting hilarious. I'm interested to see the game plan of the task force employed to enforce the policy!

If you're like me... You probably have a desire to at least learn a little about art. If nothing else, find ONE painting that you like. Maybe you already have one. Either way - what's your painting?

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Dancers in Blue, Edgar Degas. I have no choice, I'm a ballerina. I have to like Degas ;)
Monet is also a favorite. My favorite, though, is perusing the local art galleries and chatting with the artists. My sister and I have joint custody on a great piece from a local guy, and I hope to collect more.

Post a Comment