2. Make a Reading List, Enrich the Mind

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. 
- Mark Twain
A survey a few years ago stated that one in four Americans did not read a single book in a 12 month period. I'm sure those numbers haven't changed much for the better. Most people resort to television for both entertainment and information. Now, I like watching a good show just as much as the next guy (okay, maybe even more so) but there is a major point to remember - watching something play out is passive. Opening a book causes you to actively move forward through a story, engaging your brain. It's the difference between having information squirted at you and jumping in to fully absorb it. I'd rather engage my brain.

That said, one of my goals this year is to read more. As we all know, it helps to keep track of these things to be accountable to them. But how do you do that without feeling legalistic about it? The compromise for me was to set a challenging but realistic goal. I've set out to read one book every two weeks - 26 for the year. So far I'm doing great - I've already read two books! But I need more of a plan.


Gift number two is a list of books to read, so that I don't fail for want of planning. I'm trying to keep a mix of things that I will enjoy, will learn from, and be enriched by. I encourage you to join me in this task. If you're unsure how to make your list, remember that there are plenty of them already compiled. Just do a search on Google for 'must read books' or something similar, and then choose from there. A great starting point for me was The Essential Man's Library: 100 Must Read Books that was shared on ArtOfManliness.com (one of my favorite websites).

If you're like me, you probably developed a distaste for reading while in school. It is difficult to enjoy books when you are forced to read things and you don't fully understand their context. You may even want to read more yet find the task of tackling most books daunting. If so, start with books that you'll enjoy reading purely for entertainment. Pick up a Mark Twain book, or start reading the Chronicles of Narnia. These are simple to read, yet throughly enjoyable. And please - don't be ashamed of reading books for "children." Last year I got back into reading with the help of Harry Potter, and am extremely glad I did!

For my gift to myself, I've decided to go with 13 fiction and 13 non-fiction:

Fiction
1. The Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling
2. The Fellowship of the Ring - JRR Tolkien
3. The Two Towers JRR Tolkien
4. The Return of the King - JRR Tolkien
5. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
6. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
7. Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
8. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
9. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
10. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
11.
12.
13.

Non-Fiction

1. The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had - Susan Wise Bauer
2. Into The Wild - Jon Krakauer
3. How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
4. Walden - Henry David Thoreau
5. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M. Persig
6. The Elements of Style - Strunk & White
7. The Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey
8. The Art of Happiness - Dalai Lama
9. The Art of Manliness - Brett McKay
10. Self-Reliance - Ralph Waldo Emerson
11.
12.
13.

As I'm trying to expand what I read, I'm open for suggestions for the last six books. Any recommendations? What books are on your list?

2 comments:

Jan'l said...

get Dave Hasz's reading list its at least 100 books

kate said...

non fiction:
-The Omnivore's Dilemma, (popular nonfiction about the philosophy of eating)
-Confessions of St. Augustine
-Discovering an evangelical heritage by donald dayton (fascinating! read it for a class and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.)

fiction:
-things fall apart by chinua achebe - please read this book. i don't always love fiction but this book is AMAZING. about traditional village culture in Africa
-cry the beloved country (fictional experience of apartheid in south africa)
-crime an punishment (one man's desire for redemption through suffering after he rationalizes murder)

Post a Comment