30. Music & Mirth - To Go

Tonight I decided to treat myself to a delicious pizza. It was cheaper to pick it up so I went out to brave the rush hour traffic to save a few bucks. In the midst of the chaos I turned up the stereo and calmed down to a little Jack Johnson. Perhaps it was the simple uplifting melody or maybe the angry faces of other music-less drivers, but I was reminded of how much a spontaneous ditty can change one's demeanor. Personally, I'd rather be happy and [if possible] spread that to others. I'm already somewhat decent at playing guitar, but that is a cumbersome instrument that isn't always at hand. Plus most people know enough to want to prove they do. Instead, I've decided to look for a more portable instrument that I can just whip out and play for the enjoyment of others!

After debating for awhile and getting some input, I've settled on acquiring and learning to play ukulele! This is something I've wanted to do for a long time but have never pulled the trigger until now. Cost and quality are a big consideration when looking for an instrument. I looked around tonight [and many times before] and decided on a beginner's ukulele for a great price. You can can get a Mahalo Soprano Ukulele that is rated pretty high for beginners for just under $21 at Amazon.com!

The next factor to consider with any instrument is time. Make sure that you set aside time to learn your instrument, and that you focus during that time. 30 minutes of intentional time a few times a week will do far more than hours of toying around with it while watching television reruns. Trust me on this - there is a reason I've owned a guitar for 16 years but didn't really have a clue how to play it the first 8 of those years.

Lastly, figure out how you are going to learn it. Some should go the course of investing in learning books or perhaps even a teacher depending on ability level. I am already familiar with the guitar and reading tablature, so I will be able to get by with searching the web for chord diagrams and learning that way. But the point is - I have a plan.

Just so you know, I was also heavily considering a harmonica because it has ultra-portability. Downside is that you can't serenade pretty seƱoritas with an instrument in your mouth. Nevertheless, I've seen enough westerns to be enthralled with it. I caved when I found a decently recommended beginner harmonica for under $5. Not sure when I'll get to learning it, but I'll have it as an option!

What about you? Is there an instrument you want to learn for the merriment of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment