20. The Bucket List

I enjoy telling stories. It is something that I want to get better at. I've learned that generally it is what one has done and experienced in life that makes for the best tales. It has often been said that the people who have the most interesting lives are those who live them on purpose. This does not necessarily mean overly ambitious people, simply those who decide the things they want in life and go for them. In order to do this, many people have taken the time to write our a list of things they want to do before they die. A few years ago there was a movie that popularized this idea - The Bucket List. Gift 20 is to work on mine.

When I'm old I want to have much to talk about. More importantly, I want to have the experience to back up all that talk. So far in life I've gotten to do some pretty cool things that have left me with interesting stories to tell. I've lived in a hut in the middle of the jungle. I've driven across the country more than I thought I ever would. I've played the part of a crazed murderer in a live production. I've taken an old car and maxed out the speedometer in a stunt that was foolish but exhilarating. I've given away nearly all of my possessions and gone on my own personal pilgrimage. In my short 25 years, I've had the opportunity to live. But I'm not done yet. I want to continue to grow and experience. In the words of Andy Dufresne, "Get busy living, or get busy dying."

I've meddled around with creating a bucket list before, but have never completed or documented it. By nature it's a list that will change with time, but that is no reason to not do it. Sharing it will help keep you accountable to what you want to accomplish. Today I worked on mine and came up with 50 things I've yet to do, but genuinely want to. You can see my full bucket list here. Below are just a few:

  • Write a book of advice/life lessons to my children before they are born.
  • Do a fire walk
  • Ride an elephant
  • Take up Krav Maga
  • See the Northern Lights

I want my life to be full the only person who can make, or prevent that from happening is me. Same goes for you. Remember:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, throughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting GERONIMO!!!!!!!!!"
So what are the most important things on your bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment