3. Library Card - Passport to More Than You Think

For the record, this is not me.
I have more facial hair.
After making a reading list, one needs to start acquiring those books or it's all for naught! As a college student in a suffering economy, I frequently find myself short on cash; with little to nothing left for discretionary spending. Which prompted gift number three. Today I went out and got a library card.

At the risk of sounding extremely cheesy (and like my elementary school librarian), a library card is a passport to adventure. We all know that you can check out books at the library. But there are plenty of other opportunities to take advantage of that can help one grow! Below are just a few of them:

  • Borrow DVDs - for either entertainment or information
  • The budding musician can get sheet music to learn
  • Internet access (and free Wi-Fi if you bring your own computer)
  • Research with the help of knowledgeable librarians - they're smarter than you know!
  • Find out about & attend free classes/lectures that might interest you - or your kids
  • Get tax forms and information on filing
  • Check the calendar for free art shows, poetry readings, and other cultural events
  • The American Library Association has even posted a cool list of things you can do with your library card
The second to last point is one that is noteworthy. Few people these days have appreciation for art in any of its forms. The local library is a great place to start looking for opportunities to remedy this. Unfortunately there aren't many events coming to my area soon - but that nifty little email newsletter option will keep me apprised!

I know that not everyone is going to get excited about the library. In fact, I didn't go to one for years. But I encourage you to give it a try. Besides, we could all use that little ego boost of being a intellectual bookworm - even if just for a few moments!

One small caveat: the library isn't completely free if you forget to return items on time. You remember I said I hadn't been in years? Today I found out that apparently in 1998 I returned a book late and incurred a small fine of $4.10.

In case you're wondering, the book was about turtles - and I aced that Jr. High biology project!

No comments:

Post a Comment